General Question

M. Cummins miles1190 at cox.net
Mon Feb 13 20:35:43 PST 2006

Hi. Sorry about the HTML formatted email.

I'm extremely interested in installation of a FreeBSD build on a Dell Dimension XPS P133s 133 MHz / 16 MB RAM, with a S3 Trio 64+ PCI (765) and D-Link DFE 530-TX PCI adapter. I've noted the HCL for version 5 (or maybe it was 6?) but I figure I would do better to simply ask - what version do I need to run with my current hardware, and what is the highest version I can run on the machine that I plan to install on? Before you get too far on the reply, please also consider that I primarily want to use the computer for a webserver (for my LAN) in console mode (I doubt a GUI is a good idea considering the hardware I'm using.

Oh, and sorry if this is inapproprite, but I have no experience with UNIX and really need to learn it. I figured FreeBSD was my best shot at it, based on what I've seen. I've been looking at 2.2.8 and it seems to be a decent choice, but I do consider that you probably know more about this than I do.

Thanks for even reading, and doubly so if you can help!

Gratefully,
Miles