"#:Failed to force tx and rx idle state"

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Feb 13 07:35:15 PST 2006

Thiago Esteves <thiago_est at yahoo.com.br> writes:

>  --- Lowell Gilbert
> <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> escreveu:
> > Thiago Esteves <thiago_est at yahoo.com.br> writes:
> >
> > >  Hi, I've had troubles with a ethernet adapter
> > ...."dc".... It send the mensage :::
> > >
> > >   =>         dc0: Failed to force tx and rx idle
> > state            <=
> > >
> > >   ::: What's it?
> >
> > It tried and failed to reset the MAC controller.
> > What other symptoms are you seeing?
> >

>  I started the DHCP client but It doesn't obtain a IP
> address. I tried to configure the IP address manually
> but It daesn't function...

I've never seen that from a dc(4) card except for a time where it
turned out that the hardware had failed.

There are a number of entries in the BUGS section of the dc manual;
check those out and try to determine if they affect you.  Also, try
setting the media type and options explicitly to match whatever the
card is connected to, and see if you can establish link.