Sendmail - IMAP-UW - Cyrus-SASL2 - SMTPAUTH problems

Greg Groth ggroth99 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 05:30:08 PST 2006

I'm trying to set up a FreeBSD 6.0 box as a mail server, and while
everything seems to be working OK for the most part, I have run into two
issues that I cannot resolve (I'm new to BSD, please bear with me). Install
went as follows:  Installed via FTP last night along with "src - Sources for
everything",

IMAP-UW was compiled via ports with WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT enabled (same for
cclient), OpenSSL, Cyrus-SASL2 & Cyrus-SASL2-saslauthd were compiled via
ports with no flags.

Sendmail was installed with the base install and recompiled (after SASL2 was
up and running) with the following options added to make.conf:

# SASL (cyrus-sasl v2) sendmail build flags...
SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2
# Adding to enable alternate port (smtps) for sendmail...
SENDMAIL_CFLAGS+= -D_FFR_SMTP_SSL

I followed the instructions I found at
http://www.bsdconspiracy.net/howto/sendmail.html, and had no problems with
the install except for Sendmail.  After recompiling sendmail, I added the
following lines to the mail.server.mc file:

define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
define(`CERT_DIR', `/etc/mail/certs')dnl
define(`confCACERT_PATH', `CERT_DIR')dnl
define(`confCACERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
define(`confSERVER_CERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
define(`confSERVER_KEY', `CERT_DIR/mykey.pem')dnl
define(`confCLIENT_CERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
define(`confCLIENT_KEY', `CERT_DIR/mykey.pem')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl

After running (in /etc/mail) "make clean", "make cf", "make install", "make
restart", SMTP no longer works, and I find the following in maillog and
messages

Feb 12 20:25:55 mail sm-mta[1213]: daemon IPv4: problem creating SMTP socket
Feb 12 20:26:00 mail sm-mta[1213]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket:
daemon IPv4: cannot bind: Address already in use

When I try and stop sendmail, I get a message that the pid for Sendmail
cannot be found.  I end up killing the missing Sendmail daemon using
KSysGuard

If I remove this line - "DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl" from the
mail.server.mc file, make cf, make install, make restart, sendmail starts
normally.  When trying to access from another machine on my network, I can
only connect on port 25 without a secure connection (I'm using Thunderbird
for this), although SMTP-AUTH is working correctly.

Any ideas on what I might need to do to get SSL / SMTP-AUTH working on SMTP?
  I took a look at the instructions in the handbook, but they were written
for SASL1.  Running netstat shows smtps listening on 465, but when I try to
telnet to that port, the server drops the connection.

My second problem is rather simple, after I create an IMAP folder, I am
unable to delete it using a remote client.  Thunderbird responds with "The
mail server responded: RENAME failed: Can't create mailbox node
/home/User/Trash/: File exists.  Nothing shows up in any of the server logs
though.

Hopefully this is the right list for these questions, if not, could someone
please direct me to the correct one?  Any advice anyone can give me on
either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Groth