Device Name & Netgear Router

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sun Feb 12 13:00:05 PST 2006

I have a Netgear Cable/DSL Router - RP614v3 that connects two WinXP
machines with two FreeBSD 5.4 machines to each other. The router is
connected to a Cable Modem, but I do not think that is relevant to this
question.

On the router's configuration screen, under maintenance is a "Attached
Devices" menu item. This will list all four machines connected to the
router with their respective MAC addresses. However, only the WinXP
machines have their 'Device Name' listed.

I was wondering why this is. I cannot seem to locate any specific
information on the Netgear site regarding this. Everything works fine,
so I assume it is not a serious problem.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

PGP: http://www.seibercom.net/sig/gerard.asc