Additional Hard Drive Prblems

Devin Miller dmiller at techskills.com
Sat Feb 11 12:28:23 PST 2006

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advanced for helping me.

I am doing a new install of FreeBSD 6.0 RELEASE

My computer is a Dell PowerEdge 400sc

I have 2 hard drives installed in the computer:  1 80GB IDE hard drive and 1
200 GB SATA hard drive

I can install FreeBSD on the IDE drive (detected as ad0) fine and have no
problems.  The issue arises after the install when I try to fdisk and Label
the SATA drive (detected as ad4).  I want to use the SATA drive as a depot
of sorts to hold all my media.

I use sysinstall after the installation to slice and label the drive.  After
I do this and reboot FreeBSD will not boot properly. I usually get just a
blinking cursor where the boot loader should be or an invalid partition
error.  I have tried installing with a boot loader, without a boot loader, I
have verified I am slicing and labeling the correct disk.  I'm kind of at my
wits end.  I have reloaded about 10 times trying various ideas.  Any ideas
on what I could be doing wrong?  Thanks for any help given.

Devin Miller

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0606-4, 02/10/2006
Tested on: 2/11/2006 3:28:47 PM