need help setting up a new partition

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 19:51:42 PST 2006

On 2/8/06, Peter <petermatulis at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> [...]
. . .
> Actually I changed a sysctl setting (sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16) and I
> was able to delete/create the partition.  Now I am stuck trying to create
> the slices.  It keeps telling me the mount points do not exist when they
> do.  I rebooted after creating them.

Command line tools are much easier.

dd if=dev/zero of=/dev/ad0s2 bs=1024k count=1
glabel label -v l0 /dev/ad0s2
bsdlabel -w /dev/label/l0
bsdlabel -e /dev/label/l0
newfs -U -O2 -b 16384 -f 2048 /dev/label/l0[ad-g]
mount . . .
echo 'geom_label_load="yes"' >> /boot/loader.conf

glabel is pretty spiffy, you can then dispense with the
worry about having to change your /etc/fstab every time you
move a hard drive, if you move hard drives from controller
to controller, tossing notions of "fixed" disks to the wind.

Note well: I have no idea how well geom_label and boot devices
work together.

Note also: sysinstall is silly for standard tasks like disk slicing
and partitioning, and as well, it's not very geom-aware.