Problem installing 6.0 - Help

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Feb 10 11:47:18 PST 2006

Don't top-post, please.

Matias Surdi <matiassurdi at gmail.com> writes:

> 10 Feb 2006 13:56:55 -0500, Lowell Gilbert
> <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org>:
> > Matias Surdi <matiassurdi at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6 on a new pc.
> > >
> > > After creating  the partitions and choosing the packages to install,
> > > when te transfer of the base system from the DVD-drive (with a
> > > standard CD inside) to the hard disk starts, an error message appears
> > > saying: "Write failure on transger! (wrote 0 bytes of...)" and I can
> > > se on the second console something like:
> > >
> > > acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG HARDWARE ERROR asc=0x08 ascq=0x03 error=0"
> >
> > Are you sure the CD is good?
> >

> yes, it's good I've burned it again and the problem still exists..
>
> :-(

And one of these disks worked on a different system?

Interesting that the installer reported a write failure (which must
have been the hard disk), but the console reported a read failure on
the CD.  Try a minimal install, and maybe you will avoid whatever is
causing the specific issue.  [And if not, you may well have a clearer
set of symptoms.]