FreeBSD 6 on DVD

Robert Slade bsd at bathnetworks.com
Fri Feb 10 09:07:04 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 14:10, Chris wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Duane Whitty wrote:
>
> > Chris wrote:
> >> Anyone have a mirror that supports at least a torrent for 6.0 on DVD?
> >> I hate the ISO's with all that damned swithing of the CD's.
> >>
> >> Better yet, doe anyone know the layout used to create the DVD?
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I haven't yet tried this myself but nevertheless thought you might find it
> > interesting.  The following article(s) seem to detail how one would go about
> > laying out an installation disk set.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/release-build.html
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng-packages/article.html
> >

> > It's probably not as straight forward as it sounds but I'm going to give a
> > try for making a dvd for an x86 system.  I'll post to the list re this
> > subject heading with my progress.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > --Duane Whitty
>
> Thank you for the links however, this isn't what I asked. Allow me to re
> articulate:
>
> 1. I would like a link to either where there may be a full blown DVD image
> of 6.0 or a torrent.
>
> 2. If not the above, the layout used to create the DVD image.
>
> Now allow me to explain 1 and 2 so there isn't anymore wild answers to
> questions users seem to think they read.
>
> Reason 1:
> If installing more then just the base OS (allow me to say that one key
> word, INSTALL) then swapping out the CD's is not something I'm willing to
> spend 3 hours doing (perhaps that was an embellishment after the fact).
>
> Reason 2:
> If there isn't a DVD image to download (either in whole or torrent) then
> the layout would allow me to create my own INSTALL DVD with my curent 6.0
> roms.
>
> There - now that I have taken the time to eplain this, I hope there isn't
> anymore confusion as to what I'm asking.
>

> Best regards,
> Chris

Chris,

You do seem to be missing the point. The info you are asking for is on
the Freebsd site. See http://www.freebsd.org/where.html

FreeBsd does not have a DVD version for download. It is only available
as iso's on the site and you can down load these by torrent if you want
to.

If you want to do something else then read the documentation and work it
out - that is primarily how the system works.

You can get FreeBsd on DVD is you want to buy it - see the
http://www.freebsd.org/where.html for info on the FreeBsd mall at cost
or you can find suppliers at cost through say ebay.

One other thought if you don't want to spend time swapping the CDs try
an FTP install.

Rob