Using dd to Make a Clone of a Drive

Ken Stevenson ken at allenmyland.com
Fri Feb 10 08:22:45 PST 2006

Peter wrote:

> I intend to use g4u.  I have done some preliminary testing and I am quite
> confident that I can upload and download an image.  I am now wondering
> about the situation where I need to recreate the partition that is to
> contain the image.  It needs to be exactly the same size (sectors) as the
> image.  That's what I'm worried about.  Any suggestions?

You don't create a partition to restore to when you're using g4u. It
does a bit by bit copy so it creates the slice and partitions for you
automatically. As the documentation for g4u says, it's most useful
when the source disk and target disk are the same size. It works when
the target disk is bigger, but the slice will only be as big as the
original slice.

--
Ken Stevenson
Allen-Myland Inc.