Replacing cron with mcron

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Thu Feb 9 18:48:07 PST 2006

On 09/02/06 Iantcho Vassilev said:

> Has anyone tried this?
> I even think of proposing this to the base system - cron is such an old
> idea..

What does mcron offer? My main complaints about cron are:

1. Difficult to do refined timing, like execute on the first tuesday of each
month. I tend to use remind for this, by David Skoll.
2. It leaves synchronization up to the app, so it will happily start multiple
instances of a job that's taking too long.

To work around #2, I find something like daemontools or runit a nicer way to
solve the problem.

Does mcron solve any of these issues?

Mike

--Albert Einstein