Using dd to Make a Clone of a Drive

Gayn Winters gayn.winters at bristolsystems.com
Thu Feb 9 13:51:53 PST 2006

At this point, let it run.  There was a discussion last month on the
hackers distribution list on "increasing dd disk to disk transfer rate";
it discussed larger block size, piping (dd if=... | dd of=...), and
disk_recover.  It is also possible to create your own distribution disk,
which may be appealing if you do a lot of cloning.  Finally, there is
always backup|restore.  As for speed, dd will probably be last in a
race, especially with large, mostly empty, disks.

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.
714/532-6776
www.bristolsystems.com