configure acls on remote machine

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Feb 9 06:16:00 PST 2006

I have a remote freebsd host with root access via ssh user login and su. I would
like to configure acls for the /home mount, but am unsure if I can do this remotely.

Last time I tried to reboot the machine via su root it went dead for 24h while a
  human was sent to press a button or something.

I see possible options as
1) switch to single user mode somehow and then unmount /home and configure acls
with tunefs

2) su to root
    kill processes using /home
    do the umount and so on with /home unmounted.
    remount /home

3) some other method.

I imagine it might be quite hard to do 1 and 2 seems difficult unless I have an
ssh to a home folder which isn't under /home.

Any ideas welcome.
--
Robin Becker