device psm0

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 7 16:42:03 PST 2006

WSteffen wrote:
> Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> WSteffen wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to setup my first FreeBSD system on a Pentium 3
>>> system with a PS/2 mouse. The problem is I show no psm0 device
>>> in the /dev directory. When I use sysinstall to configure the
>>> mouse, the test portion fails. I do have a sysmouse in the /dev
>>> directory, but it appears useless.
>>> How do I create psm0? How should it have been created in the
>>> first place?
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated!
>>>
>>> Warren Steffen
>>> wsteffen at comcast.net
>>
>> Try just using the default value. I'm not sure why but the mouse
>> stuff never worked for me until I rebooted the machine =\.
>> -Garrett
>>
> Thanks Garrett, your response got me to testing some more things. The
> mouse goes through an electronic KVM switch and works flawlessly with
> Win2k pro, Win2k server, Solaris 8 i386, and Linux. I hooked up a
> mouse direct and this solved my problem. I also put the mouse back
> through the switch for testing and it worked for a while, but got
> "disconceted" as far as FreeBSD was concerned. This was without powering
> the system down.
> BTW the other OSs are all on the same system in a multi-boot setup.
> For now I will use the extra mouse. It is all very strange!

    I have a KVM switch too and I must say that it reacts differently
when connected to Linux as opposed to FreeBSD (then again, the mouse is
an intellimouse and the KVM is PS/2, so I'm not sure how the PS/2
portion of FreeBSD is implemented or how it is implemented in my
hardware, which may account for the different behavior).
    Did you just install FreeBSD though? If so, did you enable the mouse
daemon and did you do so with the default value?
-Garrett