Problems installing linux emulation under FreeBSD 4.9

Manfred Usselmann Usselmann.M at gmx.de
Tue Feb 7 07:37:03 PST 2006

Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> schrieb am 07
Feb 2006 10:16:49 -0500:

> "Manfred Usselmann" <Usselmann.M at gmx.de> writes:
>
> > I can't get the linux emulation installed under FreeBSD 4.9:
> >
> > ===>   linux_base-rh-9 depends on executable: rpm - found
> > ===>   linux_base-rh-9 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg_info -
> > found kern.fallback_elf_brand: 3 -> 3
> > glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7.i386.rpm
> > execution of glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7 script failed, exit status 0
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-rh-9.
> >
> > How can I fix this?
>
> Hmm.  Looks like rpm is what's actually failing,

I did update the rpm port. Even after deinstalling rpm 3.06 and installing
rpm 4 instead the problem remained.

> and it's not giving
> any indication of why.  If you can get more verbose output from it,
> you'll get more of a clue.  For an old FreeBSD release like you're
> using, though, you may do better to stick to older versions of the
> Linux emulation...

All linux ports caused that error.

With a little help from Google I found that this is due to a kernel bug
which was fixed in a later version.

So I decided to update my system for the first time. ;-) It went really
smooth and I'm running 4.11 STABLE now. :-)

And the problem is gone.

Manfred