IP Banning (Using IPFW)

David Scheidt dscheidt at panix.com
Mon Feb 6 19:55:23 PST 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 12:40:22AM +0200, Atis wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 18:55:13 -0500
> David Scheidt <dscheidt at panix.com> wrote:
>

> > Nonsense.  There may be some people that only scan well-known ports,
> > but it's much more common to scan every port on a machine.  If you're
> > running a server on a non-standard port, an attacker will find it.
> >

> sure, but 99% of the time the machines attacking your server are zombies
> that do not care to do a full portscan. i suppose the purpose is to
> find other misconfigured, easy-to-hack computers on the network. by
> putting your services on non-standard ports you get rid of these
> mindless drones and don't pollute log files with useless garbage.
>
> now if somebody _does_ actually target your server in particular then
> this is definitely not the solution.
>
> anywayz, putting things on non-standard ports helps a lot, and is
> one of the first and easiest security measures an administrator
> may consider.

Taking your clothes off and painting yourself blue is also one of the
first and easiest security measures to consider.  It's even more
effective, too.  I know of no machine that's been cracked that had a
wheel naked and painted blue.  I've seen lots running standard
services on non-standard ports.

Security through obscurity doesn't work, it makes tracking down
other problems harder, and creates work to maintain non-standard
configurations.

David