Possibility to submit requests for new ports?

Beech Rintoul akbeech at alaskaparadise.com
Mon Feb 6 14:01:16 PST 2006

On Monday 06 February 2006 12:22, Kövesdán Gábor wrote:
> FreeBSD Prospect wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >I was wondering, if there is any communication channel to request new
> > ports.
> >
> >I mean, isn't it likely, that a FreeBSD user (not a codergeek able to
> > create ports himself) is looking for some software, which is available
> > open-source for Linux, but hasn't been ported yet?
> >
> >Wouldn't it be useful, to have an own mailing list for that?
> >
> >Or is freebsd-ports thought to be suiteable for that matter (I am
> > subscribed to that mailing-list, but didn't see much traffic until now,
> > and no port requests at all)?
>
> Hello,
>
> I think freebsd-ports@ is suitable for that. It's true that we don't see
> port request there. Maybe this is beacuse the most used softwares are
> already ported. But I think new ideas are always welcome. Not only
> committers can help you, there are a lot of contributors subscribed to
> the freebsd-ports@ list, so please feel free to write there and maybe
> somebody will take care of your request.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gabor Kovesdan

It would also be helpful if you specified the app(s) you are interested in.
If it's a popular linux app, you might find that someone is already working on
it. Also, if you do a bit of homework on Linux compatibility you'll find it's
not usually difficult to "roll your own".

See: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu.html

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - akbeech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com