IPMI support in 6.x ?

Skye Poier skye at f4.ca
Mon Feb 6 00:19:52 PST 2006

Hi FBSDers,

I'm setting up an Intel SR1435VP2 server (SE7320VP2 mobo) and it
appears the only way to get at the temp and fan sensors is through
IPMI, since there's no thermal section in 'sysctl hw.acpi'.

I've tried freeipmi out of ports (hangs) and ipmitool appears to be for
remote rather than local sensor reading, since there's no OpenIPMI/BMC
kernel module for FreeBSD that I can find.

All I can find for FBSD is Doug White's IPMI page from 2002.
I haven't had much luck compiling his pre-pre-alpha code yet.
http://people.freebsd.org/~dwhite/ipmi/

It would be so so nice if there was simple 'sysctl hw.sensors' like in
OpenBSD:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=112993650617151   and
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ipmi

The output on that page is the total sum of what I want from IPMI.  Is
FreeBSD behind in this area?  Is there work going on in 6.1 or
something?  I don't really want to deploy this server without
monitoring.

Thanks,
Skye Poier
Seattle WA