Proper mail headers

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 13:57:55 PST 2006

Monday 06 February 2006 05:34、Ceri Davies さんは書きました:
> On 30 Jan 2006, at 18:36, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > Duane Whitty wrote:
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I wanted to check to see if I am using the proper etiquette
> >> when filling in my headers, especially when responding to
> >> someone's post.  Should I just let let my reply go to the
> >> person named in Reply-To or should I reply to the list and CC
> >> the poster, or is it the other way around?
> >
> > It is usually considered incorrect to directly mail or CC a
> > response to a poster unless they specifically requested it.
>
> The etiquette on all the FreeBSD lists has long been to reply to the
> list *and* the poster.

Along these same lines, I had something funny (bad) happen recently.

I reply to emails using the "reply to all" feature of my mail client.  It
replies (not unreasonably, I think) to the list (as specified by List-ID),
the To, From, and CC.  It seems to eliminate any duplicates as well as my own
address.  This had a bad effect recently where I duplicated a message to the
-questions mailing list because it was To: questions@ with a List-ID of
freebsd-questions@ .  My question is, other than paying careful manual
attention to where my replies are going, is there something that should be
changed on my client or on the server to make it more obvious that those 2
email addresses are (for my purposes at least?) the same?

Looking forward to replies,

Eric

--
The signature is a location used to give a personalised feel to each E-mail
without having to personalise each E-mail.