Apparant java catch-22

Gene listmail at Bomgardner.net
Sun Feb 5 11:46:52 PST 2006

I've been trying to get java installed for some months now and I can't
get past the point shown below. It seems that the port is looking for an
already installed version of java. I've looked at various how-tos, and
the java pages at freebsd.org, but no help. Is there some way around
this catch-22?

Thanks

# make===>  Building for jdk-1.4.2p7
# Start of jdk build
bsd i586 1.4.2-p7 build started: 06-02-05 13:33

..... %><  snip

WARNING: Your build environment has the variable DEV_ONLY
         defined. This will result in a development-only
         build of the J2SE workspace, lacking the documentation
         build and installation bundles.

ERROR: Your JAVAWS_BOOTDIR environment variable does not point
       to a valid Java 2 SDK for bootstrapping this build.
       A Java 2 SDK 1.4 build must be bootstrapped using
       J2SDK 1.4.0 fcs (or later).
       Apparently, your bootstrap JDK is version
       Please update your ALT_JAVAWS_BOOTDIR setting and start your
build again.

ERROR: Your BOOTDIR environment variable does not point
       to a valid Java 2 SDK for bootstrapping this build.
       A Java 2 SDK 1.4.2 build must be bootstrapped using
       J2SDK 1.4.1 fcs (or later).
       Apparently, your bootstrap JDK is version
       Please update your ALT_BOOTDIR setting and start your build again.

Exiting because of the above error(s).

gmake: *** [post-sanity] Error 1
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk14.