SLAPD starting very slow

Jan HREHO jancih at zoznam.sk
Sun Feb 5 04:25:26 PST 2006

Hi everybody.
My configuration.
FreeBSD 6.0 + I update ports. All programs I installed over ports

I installed LDAP server and client (2.2.30), nss_ldap-1.244, pam_ldap-1.8.0.

********* /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf****************
*** other lines in this files is defaults ***********************
include        /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include        /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/corba.schema
include        /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include        /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/dyngroup.schema
include        /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include        /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/java.schema
include        /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/misc.schema
include        /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include        /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema
database    ldbm
suffix        "dc=skuska,dc=sk"
rootdn        "cn=Manager,dc=skuska,dc=sk"
rootpw        {SSHA}LGpsWFBT/qSdvf7D4hhLny7siy2hDXl4

While  /etc/nsswitch.conf files like next:
************** /etc/nsswitch.conf **************
group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files
slapd deamon start is fast.

While  /etc/nsswitch.conf files like next:
************** /etc/nsswitch.conf **************
group: files [NOTFOUND=continue] ldap
group_compat:
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: files [NOTFOUND=continue] ldap
passwd_compat:
shells: files

and /usr/local/etc/nss_ldap files like next:
********* /usr/local/etc/nss_ldap.conf****************
*** other lines in this files is defaults ***********************
host localhost
base dc=skuska,dc=sk

slapd deamon start very slow (2-3 minutes) and print to screen next
error log:
slapd[414]: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server is unavailable.

My question is.
Why slapd deamon try to connect to LDAP server, when it start?
I read several howto, but without success. What I do wrong?

Thank You.