Dumping /usr to samba mounted drive

Mike Loiterman mike at ascendency.net
Fri Feb 3 23:42:36 PST 2006

Chuck Swiger <mailto:cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> Mike Loiterman wrote:
>> Gayn Winters <mailto:gayn.winters at bristolsystems.com> wrote:
> [ ... ]
>>>>
>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> I'm glad you got it working.  What was Apple ever thinking with a
>>> 4GB limit?
>>>
>>> -gayn
>>
>> Did Apple develop the UFS spec or just implement it?
>
> Apple's UFS implementation is a big-endian variant inherited from a
> mixture of Sun and NEXTSTEP code back in the late 80's and early
> 90's, later seasoned by BSD-4.4Lite.
>
> The tradeoffs between HFS+ and UFS are sufficiently complex that
> neither is a clear winner for general purpose uses, although UFS
> tends to do well for lots and lots of little files-- think a squid
> cache, maildir mail spool, tradspool INN layout of Usenet articles;
> HFS+ by contrast is Unicode-aware and thus
> supports international filenames sanely, and the B-tree data
> structure handles volume-wide operations more efficiently, with a lot
> less head motion, than the highly-recursive tree traversal that UFS
> mandates.
>
> If you're setting up very large filesystems, greater than 10
> terabytes, the Xsan product is a solution that even a non-expert
> admin can get working without fighting too hard.  I haven't had the
> hardware to try to configure a comparably large filesystem using UFS
> under FreeBSD, but anecdotes suggest that going above either 2TB or
> 4TB constitutes sailing into unknown waters...

My setup is just a 160 Gig firewire drive I'm using as a backup for my
server.  I hate dealing with tapes, so this is a good solution for me.  It's
nothing near as complex as what you're describing.  The regular Mac OS
Extended filesystem seems to work just fine and suuports files up to 16
exabytes, I believe.

Mike Loiterman
grantADLER
Tel: 630-302-4944