Need advice re SCSI

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 21:01:39 PST 2006

On 1/31/06, je killen <jekillen at prodigy.net> wrote:
> Hello all;
> I have installed an LSI Logic SCSI adapter card and have attached to it
> two 18GB Maxtor 15k SCSI hard drives.
> These drives are 80 pin drives and I have obtained adapter boards to
> convert the 80 pin connectors to 68 pin ribbon
> cable for connection to the SCSI adapter (these adapters are from
> Cables To Go). This adapter is made for a 64 bit PCI slot. I only have
> 32 bit PCI slots. I was told via tech support response e-mail from LSI
> Logic that I could use the adapter card in 32 bit slots but with
> reduced performance. About an inch of the card connector tab hangs off
> the end of the PCI slot.
>
> The following has been culled from dmesg.boot,  /var/log/messages, and
> transcribed from shutdown messages:
>  From dmesg.boot
> mpt0: <LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 Adapter> port 0xe900-0xe9ff mem
> 0xeb0e0000-0xeb0ffff
> f,0xeb100000-0xeb11ffff irq 11 at device 11.0 on pci0
> mpt0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> mpt0: MPI Version=1.2.9.0
> mpt0: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event 0xa.
> mpt0: mpt_wait_req timed out
> mpt0: port enable timed outmpt0: failed to enable port 0
> mpt0: Unable to initialize IOC
> mpt1: <LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 Adapter> port 0xea00-0xeaff mem
> 0xeb140000-0xeb15fff
> f,0xeb160000-0xeb17ffff irq 10 at device 11.1 on pci0
> mpt1: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> mpt1: MPI Version=1.2.9.0
> mpt1: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event 0xa.
>
> Here is output from var/log/messages re SCSI:
> Feb  1 01:57:40 AMD64 kernel: Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to
> settle
>
> Here is transcription of shutdown messages:
> mpt1: Soft reset failed: device not running
> mpt1: WARNING - Failed hard reset!
> mpt1: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event 0x6149.
>
> The operating system has hatled.
> Press any key to reboot.
>
> Perhaps it would take an engineer to look at this and give me advice
> but;
> There is no entry for any da device indicating that the drives are not
> detected
> but the adapter is.
> Drives start up with a clattering sound (somewhat like the sound I
> associate with
> roulette wheels...um...dicey?) and it's unclear if they are in fact
> running.

Um you need to rule out hard drive problems before you blame the
controller card or FreeBSD, because clattering sounds and hard drives
don't usually mix.

Check that the drive(s) spin up ok, the best way to do this is to
remove the case and put your ear to the drive.

Check at boot that the SCSI BIOS detected the drives. Also go into the
SCSI BIOS and see if there is an option to format them or to run diag
tests on the drives.

Do you have SCSI controller utilities diskettes and/or the hard drive
diag software from maxtor? use them. Download a copy of UBCD and try
it.