Java Virtual Machine

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Wed Feb 1 15:51:22 PST 2006

Nikolas Britton writes:

>  > >  So what your saying is that once you have a native jdk built and
>  > >  installed (say 1.4.2) you can compile the native jdk15 port with
>  > >  the native jdk14 port and not need the linux jdk14 port?
>  >
>  >         Yes.
>
>  Ok, Cool. So Is it automatic?

	No.
	1) There are conceivable reasons why one might want to have all
three installed.
	2) "Automatic" removal of anything is often not a good idea.
It is especially hazardous across what - as far as I can tell - are
functionally three separate lines of software (which just happen to
overlap functionally).  Upgrading from, say, 1.4.2p<N> to 1.4.2p<N+1>
is usually* safe.  1.4.2 to 1.5 is not.

				Robert Huff

* - Usually.  Note that p7->p8 broke something (details in the java@
archives within the last two weeks); the responsible people are on
the case.