Information about loader and ldconfig

Rob Hurle rob at coombs.anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 31 20:09:40 PST 2006

 	In diagnosing problems after a recent install of refdb and
mysql on my Freebsd 6.1 release system, I came across the directory:
 	/usr/local/libdata/ldconfig
  which contains files with names like "mysql".  Each of these files
contains just one line, which is a path to library modules (e.g.
"/usr/local/lib/mysql") for that program.  Other programs (e.g.
mozilla) also have library modules in their own subdirectory in
/usr/local/lib, but do not seem to need any files in the ldconfig
directory.

 	My query is "why is this"?  Is it to do with shared library
modules?  Why not put entries for all of the subdirectories from
/usr/local/lib in the ldconfig directory?

 	Just seeking information, but others may be interested to note
that I had to put an entry for the "dbd" subdirectory into the
ldconfig directory when installing refdb.  Thank you all.

Cheers,

Rob Hurle
 	Rob Hurle		Faculty of Asian Studies, ANU
 	Home address and contacts:	 Tel: +61 2 6247 2397
 	  PO Box 4013			 Fax: +61 2 6247 2397
 	  Ainslie		     Cell phone: 0417 293 603
 	  Australia		e-mail: rob at coombs.anu.edu.au