What is involved in switching from i386 to AMD64?

Oliver Iberien odilist at sonic.net
Sun Dec 31 10:56:44 PST 2006

Hi,

What actually needs to be done when switching machine architectures? I am
facing a motherboard/CPU upgrade following the demise of an Athlon+ setup. (I
am running my FreeBSD drive in a P3 while trying to figure this out.)

Replacing it with an oldish P4 would be easiest but they are rapidly becoming
extinct. After much Googling I can't quite figure out what happens if I were
to put the FreeBSD i386 HD into a 64-bit system. Nothing? Disaster? Do I
totally have the wrong end of the stick? I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Oliver