Override dummynet delay limit

ryan m smarts40 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 19:57:22 PST 2006

Hello,
     I'm trying to override the 10 second limit to a dummynet pipe delay,
and allow it to be unlimited (or at least several minutes).

I found this email in the achives:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2004-March/003370.html

Following the email I modified /usr/src/sbin/ipfw/ipfw2.c

I changed:
        if (do_pipe == 1) {
                if (p.pipe_nr == 0)
                        errx(EX_DATAERR, "pipe_nr must be > 0");
                if (p.delay > 10000)
                      errx(EX_DATAERR, "delay must be < 10000");
        } else { /* do_pipe == 2, queue */

        if (do_pipe == 1) {
                if (p.pipe_nr == 0)
                        errx(EX_DATAERR, "pipe_nr must be > 0");
//                if (p.delay > 10000)
//                      errx(EX_DATAERR, "delay must be < 10000");
        } else { /* do_pipe == 2, queue */

and I recompiled via
in the /usr/src directory
make buildkernel KERNCONF=DUMMYNET
make installkernel KERNCONF=DUMMYNET

but I still get

prompt$ ipfw pipe 1 config delay 60000
ipfw: delay must be < 10000

I've also tried changing that message in the source code to say something
different, but the changes aren't updated at the command line message, so it
seems my changes aren't actually be taken into effect via my approach.  I've
also tried doing a recursive grep on "delay must be" in the /usr/src
directory thinking I might be changing the wrong file, but this is the only
place that it's logical for me to need to change to get the desired effect.
What am I doing wrong, please help?

Thank you kindly for your time,
Ryan
research assistant at Lehigh University