NIS intermittent connection trouble

Dan Casey dcasey at debtresolve.com
Wed Dec 27 11:50:54 PST 2006

I have an NIS server setup on a specific vlan.  All my nis clients are
setup on separate vlans with different networks.

All of my clients have the same problem. When i run /etc/rc.d/ypbind
start  then /etc/rc.d/ypset start, everything works properly.

However it will stop working for no apparent reason, and just timeout
until it is restarted.

Also If i make the server unavailable, then bring it back it has the
same affect.  It is as if it fails once, and never retries the same
server.   How can i fix this?  Currently I have a cronjob set to restart
ypbind and ypset.