hardware acceleration for ATI Radeon 9600 ?

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 25 05:25:49 PST 2006

On 12/25/06, deeptech71 at gmail.com <deeptech71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> > On 12/24/06, deeptech71 at gmail.com <deeptech71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Last official ATI video card support for FreeBSD was the 9400 series
> >> drivers. I've heard about some reverse engineered drivers from Linux. Is
> >> there any way to get hardware acceleration for ATI Radeon 9600 series? I
> >> want to run OpenGL applications, and not with software rendering.
> >
> > AFAIK, you get that with Xorg 7.x.
> >

> Last time I was FreeBSDing was half a year ago. I'll test some 3D games
> on the 6.2-RELEASE. I will get a decent framerate, will I?

Unfortunately there are still some issues with Xorg 7.x, so
it's not in the ports collection yet. Fortunately you can
try those issues for yourself using a great howto at:

http://wikitest.freebsd.org/ModularXorg

Good luck!