looking for advice on NAS

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Sun Dec 24 05:13:28 PST 2006

You can do an implementation of NAS using FreeBSD with samba this works
pretty well.  If you want a simpler implementation you can use FreeNAS,
http://www.freenas.org/

With drive prices so low, and RAID easily available, you can do a mirrored
or mirrored stripped RAID array for redundancy.

Doing backups depends on what type of backup media you want to use (tape,
disk, etc.) and how much you will backup.  More current RAID controllers
support snapshots and backups directly through the controller.  With any
backup scenario though you need to choose the value of the data and data
loss, then choose the backup/restore method that will work given the value
and your budget.

         -Derek

At 07:01 PM 12/22/2006, Peter Matulis wrote:
>I am currently setting up a FreeBSD box that is currently running some
>ugly kind of Linux (Mandrakelinux?).  It currently has 350 GB of data
>residing in Samba shares so I am thinking about exporting storage to a
>NAS device.  So I am looking for advice or comments on this move.  I am
>attracted by a small form factor device but I also know about software
>that zombifies a normal PC into a NAS device (FreeBSD-based OpenNAS).
>Another issue is an eventual backup to another portable device.  Does
>NAS allow for this?  Any comments welcome.
>
>Peter

>--
>believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.