Browser Plugins - State of the Art???

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Dec 22 06:04:32 PST 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, P.U.Kruppa wrote:

> I found out I need three plugins for opera, mozilla or whatever:
>
> - Java Runtime Enviroment
> - Linux Flash Player
> - Linux Realplayer
>
> JRE works nicely with native FreeBSD browsers,
> the Linux plugins can be run with Linux Browsers.
> (.pdf files can be viewed externally with Evince,
> linuxpluginwrapper doesn't do anything at all and I tried
> different kinds of Linux JRE's with Linux Browsers - no way)
>
> Did anyone find a combination that can do all three plugins in one browser on
> FreeBSD 6.2 PRERELEASE?

For FreeBSD-native FireFox and Seamonkey:

The FreeBSD native JDK 1.4 gives a working Java plugin.

For Flash with linuxpluginwrapper and linux-flashplugin7, you have to
patch the system source:

Install the dlsym patch:

# cd /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/
# fetch http://people.FreeBSD.org/~nork/rtld_dlsym_hack.diff
# patch < rtld_dlsym_hack.diff
# make
# make install

Link the library (linx-flashplugin7 should have already done this):

cd /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins
ln -sf /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so .
ln -sf /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/flashplayer.xpt .

And make sure your /etc/libmap.conf Flash7 section agrees with the
sample included with the linuxpluginwrapper port.

mplayer is supposed to handle RealPlayer, although I can't say I've
tested it.