X server remote login and sound

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 01:26:06 PST 2006

I'm not sure if sending uncompressed audio data over the network is
such a good idea. I know that it works, but what actually happens is
that you use a Windows machine to connect to a FreeBSD machine, just
to send audio signals back to the Windows host (including all the
graphics stuff required to display the applications windows).
I'd recommend installing sshd for Xming (if it is available, I'm not
familiar with Xming). Install xmms for Xming, too.
Know, start your X session as usual, and afterwards ssh (back) to your
Xming host. Launch XMMS...
What happens is that xmms runs on the Xming machine completely (CPU
time is consumed to process audio files, these are sent to the local
sound device).