small mail server

Beech Rintoul freebsd at alaskaparadise.com
Wed Dec 20 08:05:32 PST 2006

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 02:23, Robin Becker wrote:
> I'm looking for some advice on using one of our existing freebsd 6.x
> servers as a mail server for a small number (<20) of users.
>
> Our existing provider gives us
>
> 1) pop3/IMAP for reading mail
> 2) SMTP for sending, but we need to read mail before using smtp; I guess
> this implies we don't need to authenticate directly.
> 3) web based interface for adding users and redirections etc etc
> 4) spam filtering (presumably based on their large user mail volume).
> 5) white/grey listing

I would suggest postfix, spamassassin/procmail set server wide and the
pop/imap server of your choice. Both postfix and spamassassin have detailed
how-to's on their sites. IMHO postfix is much easier to configure than
sendmail, but  then I haven't used sendmail in years. Make sure you use the
spamassassin binary (spamd) or it can get very slow. Spamassassin has
whitelist/greylist, blacklist and RBH available.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com