My recent Epiphany about operating systems

Terabyte Pete terabyte_pete at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 20 07:51:09 PST 2006

7:04 AM, Wednesday, December 20, 2006

In Winblow$, the release & bundling of IE was purposely as crippleware,
virus, & bug delivery system 2 trap people into constantly 'upgrading'.  A
simple comparisson of Windows 95 side-by-side with the final Windows ME &
various IE 'upgrades' illustrates how the supposedly 'new & improved' stuff
is actually about 1/5 the speed, & about 10X less reliable.

The Ephiphany:  A similar crippleware model exists in UNIX & Linux, BSD,
Dragonfly, IRIX, Open VMS, etc!  But what is the method of crippling?  The
USER INTERFACE is purposely difficult to use, requiring vast tracts of
arcane code & 'switches' the user is 'supposed' to be able to remember.  The
OS Kernels are designed to require constant patching or nothing runs
properly when 'upgrading' softwares.  What is the result?  Well, the OS &
applications may be free, but the system administrator type costs are not.
I have concluded, in a flash of insight, that all of the non-windows OSes,
save perhaps TRON (which is a Jap OS that is actually designed to simply
WORK - runs most cell  phones, anti-lock brakes, etc.) - the function of
most free OSes & softwares is to create a market for engineering services to
create a functional environment with them.

While even though WInblow$ is crippled & slowed down artificially like
molasses in a 'stock' install, at least it FUNCTIONS.  Free operating
systems never do. It's hell even trying to convigure the hardware, on which
Windows everything in that respect is done automatically.

If a bunch of morons at Micro$hit can make drivers automatically load, &
systems automatically configure, damn sure a bunch of tweaky inventors at
'god-knows-what-or-another' linux could do it to.  Truth is, they simply
have no interest in making things configure easily.  It would put the
'sysadmins' who wrote the programs out of a job!

When I approached Dragonfly & BSD about simply offering a menu-driven
interface, like WIndow$, so things could be easily configured & installed,
those who didn't simply ignore me made a point of laughing at me & mocking
me.  They are simply not even interested in making it easy.  They WANT it 2
B hard 2 use.  It is done BY DESIGN!

Sick - but true.  Rather like how doctors in America inject people over &
over with mercury in vaccines, so they get 'disseasses' like 'autism' &
'altzheimers' (just different names for mercury poisoning).  Free operating
systems, on average, are written specificaly to work well once configured,
but the configuration to be a complete nightmare so as to create a need for
'system administrator' employees.  They write it 2 B a pain in the ass, 2
assure their own job security.  Just like M$ writes Windoze 2 B full of
bugs, so they can keep selling the same crap over & over "oh but we fixed it
this time" - yeah right :))  I am still using the shell from Windows95.
It's the only stable, AND fast shell that Microsoft has released.  Even
their own services like MSN & Hotmail don't use their own shit.  THey use
BSD!  & I am sure, over at Hurricane Internet (their subcontractor), those
BSD guys are happy to spend their days 'configuring' things for a pretty
penny!

HAHAHAHA - the 'unix' geeks R laughing all the way 2 the bank!  They're not
ripping people off via software per se, but 'services'

What the world needs is a single OS that will run all softwares.  Short of
that, at least an OS that will run all versions of Windows software.  The
very first pre-IE Windows95 shell comes very close - few bugs in it, but
relatively minor. It is the best product Microsoft has ever produced.  We
should get together & release a 'toolkit' to upgrade the kernel from this
early 1995 release, so it will be compatable with things like 'get special
folders path' and '.net' & other bullshit that 3rd programmers have written
into their code 2 look 4 in the shell.  Basically, take those few elements
REQUIRED from the last shells, & make a way 2 import only those
NON-crippling functions into the first shell.

'Get special folders path' is a particularly common error, as
incompatability goes.  About 1 in 5 new programs expect that 'function call'
or whatever.  It is easy enough 2 switch shells while installing or using
those programs, but it incapacitates the functionality of the other kernel
things - like being able 2 move vast tracts of files around without the
whole OS locking up LOL

Oh notice also how if you take Windows98 & upgrade it to the 'latest
greatest' IE, it will lock up the computer even MORE often LOL!!!  I mean,
just trying 2 move some files around- & everything freezes!  So people are
saying 'get me XP NOW!' - haha - if they just put the 95 shell on there, the
fucking machines SCREAM! :)  OOOH 30,000 files - can I have some more?  Oh
nice, 55,000 folders - yum!

Yes that is common - I am always moving huge numbers of things around.  I
rip a lot of sites, backup customer systems, etc.

Oh another thing nice would B able 2 read AND write to NTFS compressed file
system from the 95 shell. Can read using a 'sysinternals' program, but not
write :(  Maybe soon!  There is also a program called 'write everything',
but it is expensive.  Reason being U can about double the space with big
volumes of small files using the compression thingy.

It's like most things in the world - the more layers of bullshit U peel
away, the more it's all revealed 2 B a web of scams - vast web of intricate
scams.  I am very anti-scam.  I am result-oriented.  Like when I discover
that I can use a 20" diameter tube that costs me $30 instead of an $800 CNC
fabbed cabinet, & the tubular version actually EXCEEDS the performance, I
stop making the high priced version, not try & keep the superior solution a
fucking SECRET!

U know, opposite of those oil companies - buying up the rail & mass transit,
so they could DESTROY it, & rip everybody off with cars & gas they don't
need.  It would be nice if more people were solution oriented like ma'self.
We can build a better world.

L8R ~!~