Local DNS Caching not caching on external interface

Tek Bahadur Limbu teklimbu at wlink.com.np
Tue Dec 19 23:24:43 PST 2006

Hi Chad,

Well I am please to inform you that the local DNS caching server is
working fine now.
I had made a mistake in my IPFW rules in the workstations that were
querying the local DNS caching server.

The DNS caching server was indeed sending DNS name look up results but
my workstations were not accepting it.

Anyway, I would like to thank you and all FreeBSD users once again for
your support and help. I will update you all if I face any problems
again.

 On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:47:48 -0500
"Chad Gross" <avatar4d at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > // If you have IPv6 enabled on this system, uncomment this option
> > for // use as a local resolver.  To give access to the network,
> > specify // an IPv6 address, or the keyword "any".
> > //      listen-on-v6    { ::1; };
> >
> > // In addition to the "forwarders" clause, you can force your name
> > // server to never initiate queries of its own, but always ask its
> > // forwarders only, by enabling the following line:
> > //
> > //      forward only;
> >
> > // If you've got a DNS server around at your upstream provider,
> > enter // its IP address here, and enable the line below.  This will
> > make you // benefit from its cache, thus reduce overall DNS traffic
> > in the Internet.
> >
> >         forwarders {
> >                 202.x.x.x;
> >                 202.x.x.x;
> >         };
> >
> >         /*
> >          * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you
> > want
> >          * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
> >          * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
> >          * questions using port 53, but BIND versions 8 and later
> >          * use a pseudo-random unprivileged UDP port by default.
> >          */
> > # query-source address * port 53;
> > };
> >

> > key "dnsbind" {
> >         algorithm hmac-md5;
> >         secret "da3ss+cKp1po9Uadka0Onadf04Jils+kc=";
> > };
> >

> > controls {
> >       inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
> >               allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "dnsbind"; };
> > };
> >

> > // If you enable a local name server, don't forget to enter
> > 127.0.0.1 // first in your /etc/resolv.conf so this server will be
> > queried. // Also, make sure to enable it in /etc/rc.conf.
> >
> > zone "." {
> >         type hint;
> >         file "named.root";
> > };
> >
> > zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
> >         type master;
> >         file "master/localhost.rev";
> > };
> >
> > // RFC 3152
> > zone
> > "1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.IP6.ARPA"
> > { type
> > master; file "master/localhost-v6.rev";
> > };
> >

> > Do I need to edit and create other config files besides rndc.conf?
> > Please shed some light on this
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > - --
> >

> > With best regards and good wishes,
> >
> > Yours sincerely,
> >
> > Tek Bahadur Limbu
>

> Tek,
>
> I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I haven't really
> had a chance to look over this in detail yet, but at first glance I
> cannot see anything wrong. Have you managed to get this working yet?

- --