geli load key before rootfs is mounted

Chris phatfish at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 05:26:09 PST 2006

I think you maybe running into a bug in 6.1 where the keyboard wont respond
during the boot process. Of course you don't notice because keystrokes have
no visual feedback at password input.

Try adding this line to "/boot/device.hint" on your boot media:

hint.kbdmux.0.disabled="1"

I'm booting an encrypted root file system fine with GELI.