FreeBSD as VM host OS?

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Mon Dec 18 09:33:47 PST 2006

> My question is whether FreeBSD is a suitable _host_ OS for any virtual
> machine environment, preferably with support for SMP, amd64, and guest
> OS speed at or close to native hardware speeds.

*) jails provide virtual hosting at native speed, but _only_ for FreeBSD
   guests.  i.e., you can't run Linux in a FreeBSD jail
*) qemu works well on FreeBSD in my experience, but there is a considerable
   performance hit.
*) Xen should give you what you want, but I've no information on the
   status of Xen on FreeBSD at this time.

HTH

--
Bill Moran