Process States Explanation

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Mon Dec 18 05:55:01 PST 2006

> Where can I get a good list of what each process state means? I have
> searched the manual pages and handbook and have not been able to find
> answers or explanations for what states such as pfault mean. I know they
> are linked to the systemcalls, but how can I get more info about this?

Please wrap you lines around 72 chars or so.

> Any information, pointers, or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any such comprehensive resource.

However,  I would expect that 80% of the time, a google on "<state> freebsd"
will produce enough information to satisfy you.

The other 20% of the time, you'll either need to read the source code or
find a helpful developer to explain.  Don't hesitate to ask on this list
if you come across a state you can't find information on.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.