i finally got wireless working

Nick Withers nick at nickwithers.com
Sun Dec 17 12:26:29 PST 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:24:04 -0600
Jonathan Horne <freebsd at dfwlp.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 17 December 2006 03:53, Nick Withers wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:07:05 -0600
> >
> > Jonathan Horne <freebsd at dfwlp.com> wrote:
> > (snip)
> >
> > > one big mistake i made, was building world up to 6.2-RC1.  there
> > > was one good article about installing freebsd on an ibm t42
> > > (found it on google), but it didnt have any info on getting
> > > wireless to auto start.  after i had wireless manually up and
> > > running initially, i then built world, and updated.  next boot,
> > > firmware and modules would not load.  i had tweaked some other
> > > things, so i backed those changes off, and worked round and
> > > round until i decided to just do a quick reinstall.  this time,
> > > i didnt use 6.1-RELEASE, but i did 6.2-RC1.  same behavior, and
> > > this is when i figured out that the only time it really worked
> > > like the web page depicted, was when i was on 6.1-RELEASE.  so
> > > i tried cvsuping to -p11, and things still worked fine.  this
> > > is the only laptop i have (thus, my only wireless computer), so
> > > when 6.2 comes out, ill be pretty nervous about upgrading until
> > > i read that everything i kosher with iwi- support.
> >
> > It works fine.
> >
> > Please see the UPDATING entry from the 2006-07-11, i.e.:
> > ____
> >
> > 20060711:
> >         The iwi(4) was updated to use the firmware(9) framework.
> > In order for it to work you need a port change from
> > net/iwi-firmware to net/iwi-firmware-kmod.
> > ____
>
> ah, thanks nick, i didnt remember to check that.  i wonder how safe
> it would be to switch the port out before i make the change to
> 6.2?  maybe ill play with that later today.

As I recall, I just built the new port, removed the old, upgraded to
6.2-PRERELEASE and installed the already compiled new port.

> also, is there a gui app to help manage wireless networks?

NetworkManager (http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/) is one
I'm aware of, but it doesn't appear to be available in the ports
collection (perhaps, as seems to happen more often than I'd like
with GNOME projects, it's written with only Linux systems in mind?).

--
Nick Withers
email: nick at nickwithers.com
Web: http://www.nickwithers.com