List Protocol (was: Major Version Upgrade 4.11 to 5.x)

wc_fbsd at xxiii.com wc_fbsd at xxiii.com
Tue Dec 12 15:41:12 PST 2006

At 05:59 PM 12/11/2006, Gerard Seibert wrote:
>Besides, how hard is it to subscribe to a list, post your question
>and hopefully receive a satisfactory response and then terminate
>your association with the list if you are so inclined.

Wasn't going to say anything, but...

I agree totally that you should have to be subscribed to post.  This
isn't "AOL 101" -- some pittance of technical competence is  a
prereq'.   "Try Googling before posting" is a repeated several times
daily;  why not make 'em subscribe first?  Might cut down on some of
that, as well as the spam & scam emails.  I can't recall any other
mailing lists I've been on in the last 10 years that allow
non-subscribed posts.

And from a more personal view, the "no subscription required" has
bitten me at least once -- I always use alias addresses for publicly
archived lists, since they will inevitably be scrapped up by the
spammers and abused.  I forgot to select the correct "From" on a post
a few weeks ago;  now a "real" address is chiseled in granite on the
web archive, and I'll probably have to abandon it soon.  Would have
much rather had it bounced back at me.

   -Wayne