dbus_enable

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 12 13:44:41 PST 2006

eoghan wrote:
> On 12 Dec 2006, at 20:57, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
>> eoghan wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> Im seeing some dbus_enable warnings when booting... saying its not
>>> set properly in rc.conf
>>> I dont see these warnings in dmesg though. I assume its coming from
>>> my option:
>>> gnome_enable="YES"
>>>
>>> here is the full contents of my /etc/rc.conf
>>>
>>> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Wed Jul 19 20:56:08 2006
>>> # Created: Wed Jul 19 20:56:08 2006
>>> # Enable network daemons for user convenience.
>>> # Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>>> # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>>> hostname="nathaniel"
>>> ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
>>> ipv6_enable="YES"
>>> keymap="us.iso"
>>> moused_enable="YES"
>>> sshd_enable="YES"
>>> usbd_enable="YES"
>>> mysql_enable="YES"
>>> webmin_enable="YES"
>>> gdm_enable="YES"
>>> ntpd_enable="YES"
>>> gnome_enable="YES"
>>>
>>> Should I have gdm_enable and gnome_enable, or one or the other...
>>> could that be causing the dbus_enable problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Eoghan
>> Could you provide the errors you receive in a reply email please?
>> Thanks,
>> -Garrett
>
> Hi Garrett
> They appear at the very end of booting, just before I get the gnome
> login...
> I got this from the system log:
> Dec 12 19:44:03 nathaniel root: /etc/rc: WARNING: $dbus_enable is not
> set properly - see rc.conf(5).
> Dec 12 19:44:03 nathaniel root: /etc/rc: WARNING: $dbus_enable is not
> set properly - see rc.conf(5).
> Dec 12 19:44:03 nathaniel root: /etc/rc: WARNING: $polkitd_enable is
> not set properly - see rc.conf(5).
> Thanks
> Eoghan
Eoghan,
    Interesting. I thought there was a default for dbus_enable in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf. Try putting in dbus_enable=yes in /etc/rc.conf;
it's useful for automatically detecting hardware in gnome and
interprocess communication in many different programs. Not sure what you
want to do about polkitd_enable though.. It looks like you might need to
enable that for dbus (based on this mailing-list thread and the
references to dbus in the C source code):
<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal-commit/2006-April/002376.html>.
-Garrett