POP3 conection throttle

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Dec 12 10:09:08 PST 2006

On Dec 12, 2006, at 9:20 AM, scuba at centroin.com.br wrote:
> Does anybody know any wrapper to popper server to throttle the per
> user connection rate?
> I would like to avoid some users to connect the pop3 server, every
> 30 secs, i.e.
> Something that returns "no new messages", between a configurable time.

User education is the best solution.  You're not going to improve
matters much by adding a POP3 proxy which refuses rapid connections
compared with simply having them hit the normal POP3 daemon.

On the other hand, you will see an improvement if you switch from
using POP3 to using IMAP, as the latter protocol is more efficient
about mailbox updates.  (At least, if the client is sanely written.)

--
-Chuck