Questions re: disklabel for external USB drives

Joerg Pernfuss elessar at bsdforen.de
Mon Dec 11 12:56:03 PST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:17:29 -0500
Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:

> > Is there an easy way to force the device to work as something like:
> >
> > /dev/da1s1d
> >
> > on all of the servers, including ones that do not already have a
> > SCSI disk subsystem and existing /dev/da0 devices?
>
> I think, in FreeBSD SCSI device stuff, you can force it to be
> something, but I have never done it and don't know how - and since
> it doesn't matter, don't see the reason to try.

A imho better solution is to load the geom_label class.
Then either give the device itself a label:
	da3s1d -> label/usbstick42s1d
or set the UFS Label field of the filesystems via 'tunefs -L',
this will give you for example
	da5s1a -> ufs/ustick5data
	da5s1d -> ufs/ustick5keys

or whatever you set the label to, obviously. If geom_label is loaded,
you have unique device names on all servers (if you don't mix things
up when you label them).

Regards,
	Joerg

--
| /"\   ASCII ribbon   |  GnuPG Key ID | e86d b753 3deb e749 6c3a |
| \ / campaign against |    0xbbcaad24 | 5706 1f7d 6cfd bbca ad24 |