Setting up RAID-1 on 2 unequal disks

Tony Shadwick tshadwick at oss-solutions.com
Mon Dec 11 07:23:21 PST 2006

I'd say use gvinum.  It's a bit tricky....actually, it's VERY tricky.
You have to get the geometry of the shared volume precisely right on the
120GB drive to match the 80GB drive, then you can allocate the rest of
the free space.

Honestly, you *could* cheat here. :)  I think....

Set up your 80GB drive.  We'll call it /dev/ad0.

Plug in your 120GB drive but don't do anything to it.  We'll call it
/dev/ad1.

dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad1

Now, set up gvinum as though they were of the exact same geometry, and
get your mirror going.  Then, go back and modify the drive label of ad1,
and allocate the rest of the space on that disk.  You'll want to have
gotten the REAL drive geometry of /dev/ad1 ahead of time, because (if I
recall...) you're going to have to change c: to the correct geometry,
then add partitions using space above and beyond what you have on ad0.

Does that make sense at all?   Perhaps you should work through setting
up a normal gvinum mirror before going this route...