Advantages of trimmed kernel?

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Sun Dec 10 07:42:00 PST 2006

On Sunday 10 December 2006 09:19, Lane wrote:

> You say that you can't afford to take a production machine down, but
> consider this:  What if you trimmed all of the "fat" from the kernel on a
> server, and then the server's nic goes bad.

Well, that's an example of the kind of thing that makes me not want to hack
GENERIC too much.  Also, accidentally removing some critical driver is
another drawback.  So, with all the disadvantages, are there any real
advantages to doing this?  Saving half a meg of memory on a four gig machine
isn't worth the aggravation.  Squeezing an extra 10% performance out of the
same hardware would be, though.
--
Kirk Strauser