Configuration of Grub?

David Stanford dthomas53 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 15:51:50 PST 2006

> Incorrect. If you installed the filesystem on ad3s1, it should be:
>
> root (hd3,0,a)

Thank you, I stand corrected. Not sure what I was thinking there... :)

Many people goof up GRUB by accident because it's numbering system is
> zero-based and linux-like to a certain extent, so /dev/hda in Linux
> translates to hd0 in GRUB, which is also ad0 in FreeBSD.

This now leads me to a thought: does Grub count only *existing* hard drives
on your system or does it count the hard drive channels on your system? In
this case, Karl says he has installed FreeBSD on ad3, which makes me think
he has installed on a second SATA drive (more likely that on a fourth hard
drive I would think), and FreeBSD has counted two IDE channels as ad0 and
ad1, and two SATA channels as ad2 and ad3. If this is the case, and Grub
counts only the *existing* drives on his system, then he would have to use
(hd1,0,a), no? This would also explain the "disk is not existing" error he
was recieving.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts (or facts ;) on this as I hate being
left confused... :)

-David
--
[root at fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.