Configuration of Grub?

David Stanford dthomas53 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 12:30:02 PST 2006

On 12/9/06, Karl Sinn <news at budostore.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I'm using this:
> >
> > title FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE
> >         root (hd1,0,a)
> >         kernel /boot/loader
> >
> > title FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT
> >         root (hd0,2,a)
> >         kernel /boot/loader
>
> I tried, but it still does not work.
>
> Grub is giving a "file not found" message. If I understand it right it
> searches the /boot/loader on my Linux hard disk.
>
> I have found loader and loader.conf on the FreeBSD installation disk can I
> just copy them?

What are you using now for your menu.lst? Still this?...

title FreeBSD
  root (hd3,0)
  chainloader +1

I can almost guarantee that you have your 'root' specified incorrectly. You
should have something similar to the following (as mentioned earlier by
Pieter):

title FreeBSD
        root (hd0,1,a)
        kernel /boot/loader

Unlike a Linux boot entry, you have to specify the 'a' portion of 'root' in
the menu.lst config. And remember that 'hd0' is defining exactly which hard
drive you have FreeBSD installed on (in this example, the first hard drive),
and '1' refers to the partition (in this example, the second partition). The
'a' will not have to be changed, assuming you performed a standard FreeBSD
installation as this is the slice / is installed on by default. Give it
another try with this info and reply back if you still have trouble. If you
reply back, please include 1.) the hard drive and 2.) the partition you
installed FreeBSD on.

P.S. Welcome to FreeBSD! :)

-David
--
[root at fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.