Dell - kernel panic problems

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Thu Dec 7 15:31:27 PST 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 16:28, Andrew Boring wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2006, at 6:11 PM, andrew at inemy.com wrote:
> > I have problems with what appears to be kernel panics when accessing
> > the
> > disk (either reading or writing). This box does nothing at the moment
> > but
> > wait for me to install and configure something, since it's a test box
> > and
> > hasn't even made it to live testing yet.
> >
> > The panics usually happen when installing something via Ports. Today,
> > as I
> > was running a "make clean", I managed to get this one:
> >
> > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> > fault virtual address = 0x20000
> > fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
> > instruction pointer   = 0x20:0xc083f0dc
>
> Well, I'm disappointed that no one even responded with an RTFM
> somewhere that could I find more information on this. As it happens, a
> google search eventually pointed me back to this section of the FAQ:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/
> advanced.html#KERNEL-PANIC-TROUBLESHOOTING
>
> So here's the instruction pointer matching with the symbol table:
>
> #nm -n /boot/kernel/kernel | grep c083f
> c083f06c  T  pmap_clear_modify
>
> It's possible that my instruction pointer in my first email above was
> typo'ed, since I handwrote the panic output and typed it into my email.
>
> Any suggestions? I'm recompiling the GENERIC kernel with options DDB so
> I can capture the crash dump...but I would like to know if anyone has
> any suggestions in the meantime.
>
> -Andrew

Andrew,

Sorry no one responded.

How 'bout a

uname -a

plus

dmesg

and some information about the install status...

You indicate with "The panics usually happen when installing something via
Ports" that the system is fully installed, but that is not absolutely clear.
And from this vantage, with this information, troubleshooting would only be
shooting in the dark at this point.

Looking forward to hearing back.

lane