Dell - kernel panic problems

Andrew Boring andrew at inemy.com
Thu Dec 7 14:28:39 PST 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 6:11 PM, andrew at inemy.com wrote:

> I have problems with what appears to be kernel panics when accessing
> the
> disk (either reading or writing). This box does nothing at the moment
> but
> wait for me to install and configure something, since it's a test box
> and
> hasn't even made it to live testing yet.
>
> The panics usually happen when installing something via Ports. Today,
> as I
> was running a "make clean", I managed to get this one:

> fault virtual address = 0x20000
> fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer   = 0x20:0xc083f0dc

Well, I'm disappointed that no one even responded with an RTFM
somewhere that could I find more information on this. As it happens, a
google search eventually pointed me back to this section of the FAQ:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/
advanced.html#KERNEL-PANIC-TROUBLESHOOTING

So here's the instruction pointer matching with the symbol table:

#nm -n /boot/kernel/kernel | grep c083f
c083f06c  T  pmap_clear_modify

It's possible that my instruction pointer in my first email above was
typo'ed, since I handwrote the panic output and typed it into my email.

Any suggestions? I'm recompiling the GENERIC kernel with options DDB so
I can capture the crash dump...but I would like to know if anyone has
any suggestions in the meantime.

-Andrew