Xorg 7.2 ante portas

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Dec 6 12:42:02 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 12:47:27PM -0500, John Nielsen wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 December 2006 12:42, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > Hello.
> > Xorg 7.2 is about to be released - with nice new features an, more
> > important, bugfixes, upgraded drivers etc.
> > Are there any plans of supporting this version via the ports collection?
>
> Yes. See the freebsd-x11 mailing list archives for more details, but basically
> the team doing the porting is just waiting for the actual release of 7.2
> before they merge the new versions into the ports tree. I'm sure there will
> still be some testing and other tasks to be completed after that, but
> hopefully most things should be working.

Actually it's much more complicated than that since xorg 7.x is
fundamentally different than older versions.  It's taking a *lot* of
effort to get it beaten into the shape of the ports collection, but
hopefully it will be ready and integrated some time around the end of
the year.

As someone else pointed out, you can use it already if you don't mind
rough edges, lots of code churn, and getting your hands dirty.

Kris