BSDStats Report for December 1st, 2006

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Dec 6 05:26:25 PST 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, 09:50:20 -0400 "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy at freebsd.org> wrote:

 > - --On Wednesday, December 06, 2006 00:31:49 +1100 Ian Smith
 > <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
 >
 > > On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy at freebsd.org> wrote:
 > >
 > > [..]
 > >
 > >  > report_devices sends the output of pciconf -l | grep -v none (active
 > > devices)
 > >
 > > Marc, I've wondered for a while why you're excluding 'none' devices, eg
 > > on my Compaq Armada 1500c (recent 5.5-STABLE) 'pciconf -lv' includes
 > >
 > > none0 at pci0:8:0: class=0x030000 card=0xb1010e11 chip=0x00c0102c rev=0x64
 > > hdr=0x00     vendor   = 'Asiliant (Chips And Technologies)'
 > >     device   = '69000 AGP/PCI Flat Panel/CRT VGA Accelerator'
 > >     class    = display
 > >     subclass = VGA
 > >
 > > which is not exactly an inactive device here?
 >
 > 'k, my question back at you is why is there no driver associated with it?
 > Shouldn't there be ... ?

It's a very good question :) but not one to which I know the answer.
dmesg, since 5.4-RELEASE through 5.5-STABLE reports:

  pci0: <display, VGA> at device 8.0 (no driver attached)

I couldn't find a pciconf saved from those days, but on 4.5-RELEASE
dmesg always reported it as:

  pci0: <Chips & Technologies 69000 SVGA controller> at 8.0

with no difference in functionality.  Xorg recognises it fine either
way, as does VESA (which now only reports itself on a verbose dmesg)

 > But, that said ... I've removed the none driver, since all it will do i make
 > the list longer, but it doesn't hurt anything ...

I notice tonight that all of the 'none' devices reported there all seem
also to be display adapters.  On my Thinkpad T23 (not yet reporting) I
see the pciconf 'none' devices are an Intel 82801CA/CAM SMBus Controller
and a Lucent LT Winmodem (shrug?)

 > > Perhaps they'd be more useful summarised by OS, or at least prefaced
 > > with 'f' or 'o', 'n', 'd' or something else indicative?  Just an idea ..
 >
 > Click on the FreeBSD icon, and you'll get FreeBSD specific stats ... but, good
 > point about the front page ones, will look at adding a label for there ...

Ah yes, and I see you're still working on things now.  Good stuff.

Ahem, could it be someone from (this time) Australia is gaming the
system?  We've gone up from 425 a little earlier to (just now) 555
FreeBSD systems, and while we're never sorry to be beating the Yanks,
especially at their own game, I doubt that it's fair dinkum, mate :)

Cheers, Ian